NEW IDEAS FOR TREATING CONCUSSIONS <---Click this link to learn more!
Do Professional Athletes have better vision than the rest of us? Yes, they typically have better visual acuity, depth perception, contrast sensitivity and visual motor function than most of us. Yet some professional athletes and many non professional athletes could improve their performance by a simple vision correction. For instance, a baseball player with 20/10 acuity can see a pitch at half the distance as a player with 20/20 acuity
Sports Vision Testing and Training Enhances Athletic Performance
Dr. Marran offers several different vision tests for assessing athletic performance and capabilities:
- The first test is Visual Acuity. Athletes highly dependent on Visual Acuity, like baseball players, typically have 20/15 or 20/10 vision. But they may only have it in one eye if they have never had their vision tested. Making sure both eyes see 20/15 is easily accomplished with a good refraction. A player who sees 20/10 will see the same detail at twice the distance as a player with 20/20 vision.
- Dynamic Visual Acuity is another important test which few optometrist test or train. Using specialized equipment, Dr. Marran will do both.
- Contrast sensitivity is also important for athletic performance. During our computerized contrast sensitivity test, you will be asked to identify letters as their contrast is reduced, that is looking at gray letters on a gray background. Ask Dr. Marran why contrast sensitivity is important for your sport
- Eye alignment and teaming. Two eyes are greater than the sum of their parts. That's never more true than when it comes to both eyes working as a team. Dr, Marran uses numerous tests to see if your eyes are team players and remain team players during physiological stress. Robust eye teaming may be your most important asset as a player
TESTING AND THERAPY
A player with excellent visual motor skills (see below) can exceed the performance of a player with better visual acuity.
Sports Vision therapy is an individualized therapy program that begins by testing your visual performance for the visual skills you need for your chosen sport. After identifying your strengths and weaknesses, an individualized therapy program is created to provide the visual challenges you need to enhance your identified limitations. Test and be trained at Yorba Linda Optometry and Beyond on:
- Eye-hand coordination
- Visual reaction time
- Peripheral awareness
- Central-peripheral integration
- Visual auditory integration
- Visual search
- Divided attention
- Sustained visual attention
- Speed and span of recognition
- Visual spatial memory
Vision therapy can help those who have received traumatic brain injury or concussions, please visit here for more information.
What does sport performance have to do with vision? Everything!
VISUAL SKILLS shown to correlate with ELITE PLAYERS
Sharp Eyesight: A player with 20/10 vision can see twice as far as a player with 20/20 vision. What would that mean to a baseball player judging pitch or tennis player responding to a serve? At Yorba Linda Optometry& Beyond, your prescription is not final until we are satisfied that you are seeing your very best.
Reaction Time: Reaction time depends on many visual skills. Sharp acuity improves reaction but acuity is typically tested for a static eye chart.
Dynamic Visual Acuity: We measure acuity while the target is moving. We measure eye speed and span of recognition (how much and how quickly can your athlete take in critical information and whether they can maintain this with stress).
Depth Perception: Unequal acuity in each eye can disrupt eye teaming and stereo acuity. This can compromise the rapid depth perception needed in ball playing sports. We measure stereo acuity at the threshold levels achieved by elite athletes.
Peripheral Awareness: Elite athletes know where they are, where others are, where they are going and how to get there most efficiently. Their ability to do this requires dynamic side vision awareness, visual anticipation and spatial mapping.
These are just some of the VISUAL SKILLS that can be tested and trained and why Scouts and Coaches are sending their elite athlete to get a Sports Vision evaluation.
Find out how you can take your athlete’s game to another level. Schedule a Comprehensive Sports Vision Evaluation today.